David Alderson. LL.B, LL.M. Q.Arb – Background
David has been accredited by the ADR Institute as Canada as a Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb). He accepts appointments as a commercial arbitrator, international commercial arbitrator and as a business dispute arbitrator, at reasonable hourly rates and with good availability.
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice has appointed David in commercial arbitration matters. David is a member of the Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society, has successfully completed their Gold Standard Course in Commercial Arbitration, and is on the TCAS Roster of Arbitrating Members. He is also a Full Member of the ADR Institute of Ontario and appears in its Member Directory. David is on the Ontario Bar Association roster of Remote Arbitrator and Mediator Services.
David has lived and practiced commercial arbitration in Ontario, England, Bermuda and Dubai, in a wide variety of disputes in a diverse range of businesses and industries. He is also admitted in New York State. His LL.B (Osgoode) and LL.M (Lond.) – Commercial and Corporate, were granted in 1980 and 1988, respectively. David has acted as counsel in both domestic and international arbitration, including institutional and ad hoc arbitration.
David has appeared as a barrister in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (including the Commercial List), the Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Federal Court (Canada), Federal Court of Appeal (Canada) and as co-counsel the Supreme Court of Canada.
Preferred Arbitration Appointments
He has legal experience in commercial arbitration in Ontario, England, Bermuda and Dubai under different institutional and ad hoc rules, in a wide variety of matters, but mainly focused on the practice areas of commercial disputes, business disputes, contract disputes, franchise, distribution and sale of goods disputes, commercial real estate disputes, commercial leasing disputes, international trade, reinsurance and marine matters.
Speaking Engagements on Arbitration Subjects
In his over 35 years of practice both here and abroad David has actively promoted the resolution of commercial, contract, distribution, business, and property dispute through arbitration. David has spoken at Law Society of Ontario and American Bar Association continuing education presentations and provided comments on arbitration issues to legal publications, including:
- Law Times Cover Story July 20, 2018: “OCA upholds U.S. rabbinical court’s award. Province a leader in international commercial arbitration” concerning Popack v. Lipszyc, 2018 ONCA 635 (Quoted)
- Law Times Cover Story – Enforce Arbitration Agreements: Ruling, November 21, 2016, Re: Haas v. Gunasekaram, 2016 ONCA 744 (Co-Counsel on motion)
- Panelist at the Law Society of Ontario Continuing Professional Development program, The Annotated Partnership Agreement 2015, on the panel entitled “Review of the Differences (Legal and Drafting) Between a Partnership and a Joint Venture – Understanding the Significant Consequences“. This included discussion on the use of arbitration clauses in international joint venture agreements.
- New Developments in Emergency Arbitration Procedures – Interview Published in Law Times (April 2013)
- ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Litigation event “Strategic Choices in International Arbitration: the Impact of Forum Selection and Choice-of-Law Decisions” covering competence-competence doctrine, severability (separability) and judicial intervention in determining the jurisdiction of a tribunal; and the enforcement of arbitral awards, including public policy exclusion to enforcement and the effect of local limitation periods in the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards in UNCITRAL / Model law jurisdictions (August 2011)
Terms of Appointment available on request.
Contact the Arbitrator Appointment Coordinator at (416) 979 2020, ext. 223 or by email at email@example.com
*Hourly Rates: Fee rate on application: from $350.00 per hour, *plus facilities and applicable taxes.