Gilbertson Davis LLP
Arbitration and Mediation Services
Toronto Condo Arbitrator
David Alderson, LL.B, LL.M, Q.Arb
Early Hearing Dates Available
Will Attend Hearing at Condominium Building
From $350.00 per hour, plus facilities and applicable taxes
David Alderson, LL.B., LL.M, Q.Arb – Condo Dispute Arbitrator
David has been accredited by the ADR Institute as Canada as a Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb). He accepts appointments as a commercial arbitrator, including as condominium dispute arbitrator, at reasonable hourly rates (from $350.00 per hour, plus facilities and applicable taxes) and with good availability.
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice has appointed David in commercial (including condominium) arbitration matters.
David is a member of the Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society, and has successfully completed the Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society Gold Standard Course in Commercial Arbitration. He is also a Full Member of the ADR Institute of Ontario and appears in its Member Directory.
He has legal experience in arbitration in under different institutional and ad hoc rules, in a wide variety of matters. David accepts appointment as sole arbitrator and party-appointed arbitrator in a wide variety of condominium disputes.
David has appeared as a barrister in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice (including the Commercial List), the Divisional Court, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Federal Court (Canada), Federal Court of Appeal (Canada) and as co-counsel in the Supreme Court of Canada. He has legal experience in arbitration in under different institutional and ad hoc rules, in a wide variety of matters. David accepts appointment as sole arbitrator and party-appointed arbitrator in a wide variety of condominium disputes.
Condominium Disputes – Examples
The following comprise the subject of typical condominium disputes
- Noise, Odours and Nuisance
- Personal Property and Storage Issues
- Common Elements Use
- Issues with Condo Property Manager
- Parking and Electric Vehicle Charging
- Issues with Neighbours Actions
- Condo Rules and Bylaws
- Short term Rentals
- Board Inactivity
- Illegal or Wrongful Acts of Unit Owners
- Cannabis Issues Use or Sale
- Record Access Disputes
- Disputes with Condo Corporation, Board, Unit Owners or Tenants
- Commercial Condo Disputes
- Condo Development Disputes
- Condo Construction Disputes
- Lending and Finance Disputes
Speaking Engagements on Arbitration Subjects
David has spoken to lawyers at Continuing Legal Education events, and given interviews to legal publications on matters concerning arbitration, including:
- Law Times Cover Story July 20, 2018: “OCA upholds U.S. rabbinical court’s award. Province a leader in international commercial arbitration” concerning Popack v. Lipszyc, 2018 ONCA 635 (Quoted)
- Law Times Cover Story – Enforce Arbitration Agreements: Ruling, November 21, 2016, Re: Haas v. Gunasekaram,2016 ONCA 744 (Co-Counsel on motion)
- Panelist at the Law Society of Upper Canada Continuing Professional Development program, The Annotated Partnership Agreement 2015, on the panel entitled “Review of the Differences (Legal and Drafting) Between a Partnership and a Joint Venture – Understanding the Significant Consequences”. This included discussion on the use of arbitration clauses in international joint venture agreements.
- New Developments in Emergency Arbitration Procedures – Interview Published in Law Times (April 2013)
- ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Litigation event “Strategic Choices in International Arbitration: the Impact of Forum Selection and Choice-of-Law Decisions” covering competence-competence doctrine, severability (separability) and judicial intervention in determining the jurisdiction of a tribunal; and the enforcement of arbitral awards, including public policy exclusion to enforcement and the effect of local limitation periods in the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards in UNCITRAL / Model law jurisdictions (August 2011)
Terms of Appointment available on request.
Appointment and Availability Enquiries
To make appointment and availability enquiries about arbitrators and mediators, please contact the Gilbertson Davis LLP Arbitration and Mediation Intake Coordinator at (416) 979 2020, ext. 223 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hourly Rates: Fee rate on application: from $350.00 per hour, plus facilities and applicable taxes.