GILBERTSON DAVIS LLP ARBITRATION CHAMBERS REMAINS OPEN DURING USUAL BUSINESS HOURS
SHOULD PARTIES OR THEIR LAWYERS PREFER REMOTE MEETINGS, WE ARE HAPPY TO ARRANGE VIDEO OR TELEPHONE CONFERENCE CALLS
Gilbertson Davis LLP Arbitration Chambers
Toronto Contract Dispute Arbitrator
Contract Interpretation Arbitrator
Termination of Contract Arbitrator
Joint Venture Dispute Arbitrator
David Alderson, LL.B, LL.M
Arbitrator for Contract Arbitration
Qualified, Experienced and Independent Arbitrator with Reasonable Fees ($375 per hour) and Good Availability for Arbitration Hearings
Serving All of Ontario & Elsewhere in Canada From Toronto Office
David accepts appointment as arbitrator in a wide variety of contract disputes, including those involving claims for damages for breach of contract, performance issues, and claims for rescission, termination, cancellation, frustration and the application of force majeure clauses. He has considerable experience with urgent remedies including injunctions and mandatory orders.
Experience and Availability, at Reasonable Fees
David has over 38 years experience as a lawyer in commercial litigation and arbitration in a number of jurisdictions and a wide variety of disputes, and is Senior Counsel of Commercial Litigation at Gilbertson Davis LLP. His practice has provided the opportunity to act in almost all types of contractual disputes and urgent remedies.
The Ontario Superior Court of Justice has appointed David to adjudicate commercial arbitration matters. He is in the ADR Institute (ADRIO) Directory of Ontario Dispute Resolution Professionals and Toronto Commercial Arbitration Society (TCAS) arbitrator roster of full members. David holds the Qualified Arbitrator (Q.Arb) accreditation of the ADR Institute of Canada. David has completed the Foundations in Judicial Competencies Series, and has been granted a Certificate of Completion by the Ontario Bar Association.
David accepts appointments as sole arbitrator and panel arbitrator in both domestic (Ontario) and international commercial arbitration, at reasonable hourly rate fee of $375 per hour, plus applicable taxes, expenses and disbursements. His typical Term of Appointment set out an agreed arbitration hearing day and half-day rates.
His Resume and draft Terms of Appointment are available on request.
Type of Contract Disputes
A wise variety of contract disputes and issues can be arbitrated in Ontario, including issues relating to formation / creation, interpretation and application of contract terms, contract issues, including performance, suspension, termination and cancellation, as well as alleged breaches and contract remedies, including urgent status quo and other orders.
Types of Contacts
David accepts appointment as an arbitrator is almost all contract dispute arbitration. He has experience in a very wide variety of contracts and industries while practicing in Ontario and elsewhere.
David regularly speaks on, and provides interviews, to the legal press on matters of interest to those practicing in the area of arbitration, including these:
- June 4, 2020 (to be held) David will provide a talk and workshop at the ADR Institute of Ontario 2020, 35th Annual General Meeting and Professional Development Conference, on June 4, 2020, entitled “Keep Them Calm and Arbitrate On: Sources of Commercial Arbitration Conflict & Tools / Techniques for Conflict Minimization”.
- Law Times Cover Story July 20, 2018: “OCA upholds U.S. rabbinical court’s award. Province a leader in international commercial arbitration” concerning Popack v. Lipszyc, 2018 ONCA 635 (Quoted)
- Law Times Cover Story – Enforce Arbitration Agreements: Ruling, November 21, 2016, Re: Haas v. Gunasekaram, 2016 ONCA 744 (Co-Counsel on motion)
- Panelist at the Law Society of Upper Canada Continuing Professional Development program, The Annotated Partnership Agreement 2015, on the panel entitled “Review of the Differences (Legal and Drafting) Between a Partnership and a Joint Venture – Understanding the Significant Consequences“. This included discussion on the use of arbitration clauses in international joint venture agreements.
- New Developments in Emergency Arbitration Procedures – Interview Published in Law Times April 2013)
- ABA Annual Meeting, Section of Litigation event “Strategic Choices in International Arbitration: the Impact of Forum Selection and Choice-of-Law Decisions” covering competence-competence doctrine, severability (separability) and judicial intervention in determining the jurisdiction of a tribunal; and the enforcement of arbitral awards, including public policy exclusion to enforcement and the effect of local limitation periods in the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards in UNCITRAL / Model law (August 2011)
Resume and Terms of Appointment
Terms of Appointment available on request from the Intake Coordinator
Hourly Rate: $375.00 per hour, plus facilities and applicable taxes.